From 11.59pm on Sunday 29 March 2020, the Queensland Government issued a Home Confinement Direction that prohibits people from leaving their residence except for:
- shopping for essentials (food and necessary supplies)
- medical or health care needs, including compassionate requirements
- exercise with no more than one other person (unless from your household)
- providing care or assistance to an immediate family member, or
- work and study if you can’t work or learn remotely.
To support the Government’s Home Confinement Direction, we have restricted access to our waste facilities to essential waste vehicles only.
This decision has been taken to protect the health of customers, our staff and the community.
Who can use the tips now?
The facilities will be open to ‘essential waste vehicles’ which include:
- Council's contractor-operated waste collection trucks
- Council vehicles
- commercial waste contractors
- waste from businesses
- community organisations
- residents who live in remote areas that don’t receive a waste collection service (exemption letter must be produced upon arrival)
- customers disposing asbestos only (Browns Plains only), and
- customers with food waste, dead animals or other animal waste.
I have waste to dispose of, what am I supposed to do now?
- Avoid creating waste where it is not essential.
- Maximise the use of your existing bins, make sure that the correct items are placed in your recycling bin.
- You can engage a commercial provider (e.g. garden waste contractor, handyman service provider, skip bin provider) to collect the waste from your property.
- Order additional waste or recycling bins from Council.
- Store hard waste for later disposal in a manner that does not attract vermin.
Can I give my vouchers to the commercial operator to use on my behalf?
No. Commercial operators cannot pay with vouchers.
What happens to my waste vouchers? Will their expiry date be extended?
Given the uncertainty of the situation, no decision has been made as yet regarding unused waste vouchers.
Is kerbside clean-up still happening as per the schedule?
A decision about future kerbside clean up services has not yet been made. If the kerbside clean up services will be impacted, this will be communicated through media releases, social media and on our website.
Are the 10 cents Container Refund locations still operating?
We do not operate these facilities. Residents should contact their local refund point or contact 13 42 42 for more information.
For more information about the new rules in place at the Logan City Council Recycling Facilities, please click here.